This upcoming weekend looks like it is going to be a nice one, so be sure to get outside and start in on that Spring cleaning list! To keep your home in top notch shape here are 5 quick and easy things to do before the hot heat of Summer.
1. Clean Gutters
- Grab a pair of gloves and a ladder, and climb up there and scoop as much debris as you can out with your hands. Then grab the garden hose and was the rest of the debris and dirt out. Be sure that your downspout is carrying the water five feet away from your foundation walls.
2. Check your Roof Shingles
- Now would be the perfect time to climb up and make sure that after the long winter and all of the crazy weather we have been having that all your shingles are still secure. If you find any shingles are cracked, buckled or loose or are missing granules need to be replaced.
3. Check and Wash the Concrete
- Check to make sure that there are no cracks in the concrete, if there are be sure to fill them in with a concrete crack filler or silicone caulk. If you had to fill any cracks in make sure it drys completely before power washing and resealing your concrete.
4. Check Outside Faucets
- Check outside hose faucets for freeze damage. Turn the water on and place your thumb or finger over the opening. If you can stop the flow of water, it is likely the pipe inside the home is damaged and will need to be replaced. While you’re at it, check the garden hose for dry rot.
5. Check Power Equipment
- Check your gas- and battery-powered lawn equipment to make sure it is ready for summer use. Clean equipment and sharp cutting blades will make yard work easier.